Sunday, February 10, 2013

Photography etiquette in Saigon





I love catching the quick photo
with hopes that I may have caught something. 
As much as I love photographing people on the sly, 
I feel it is important to be respectful of their space. 
Having tourists jump up and down in front of you, 
with a camera, must be annoying in the best 
and worst of times. 

With respect, I try to be polite...


'Waiting in turn'
Saigon, Vietnam


'Peace on Le Cong Kieu St'
Saigon, Vietnam


'Afternoon scooter...in pink'
Saigon, Vietnam


'Once upon a Notre Dame Cathedral...'
Saigon, Vietnam

'Quiet prayers, by candlelight'
Saigon, Vietnam

'Giggles in the moonlight'
Hoi An, Vietnam

'Mother Loom'
Dalat, Vietnam


"Watch me".
Dalat, Vietnam

'Greeting Father Ken'
Saigon, Vietnam


'Smiles of joy for 'Tet' '
Saigon, Vietnam



'Eagerly awaiting'
Saigon, Vietnam



'Photographer discovered'
Angkor Wat, Cambodia


  All photos taken by me...Jeanne Henriques


7 comments:

  1. The lady weaving blows me away. What beautiful cloth made on such a primitive piece of equipment. Hope I see this in action.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some great photos, Jeanne! I especially love the "Mother Loom" photo! ~ Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed your photos, and share your sentiments of respectful photography. It is a challenge for me, as, like you, I enjoy the candid shot, but am leary to take it at times for fear of offending; especially children. I worry that the parent may feel I am somehow a threat to their child. On the upside, while riding my bike on the island where I live in Greece, I stopped to take a photo of 3 fishermen at their boat, mending nets and selling their catch. They were so thrilled, they gave me 4 fish! I returned the following week with prints of the photos for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful collection of pictures of life as it is lived in Vietnam. The woman at the loom is a picture of the activity of centuries continues to be expressed in the creation of beautiful cloth. The children's expressions are pure delight; I spent time with each of them just filling my heart with the essence of each child so beautifully captured with your camera. I so appreciate your art of photographing the heart of Vietnam and sharing it with those who read your blog.
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that final pick with the twinkle in that little boy's eyes. What an incredible opportunity to photograph...especially the children on the scooters!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jeanne, when you get back from Burma (!!), I would heartily suggest that you post these on Collage of Life--they deserve to be seen and seen again!!! They are wonderful, truly wonderful...
    Bisous,
    H

    ReplyDelete